President Emmanuel Macron welcomes world leaders to a new Climate Summit in Paris.
He says “We’re not going fast enough. We are losing the battle against climate change” and invites us to act now.
Numerous leaders, influencers, NGOs, multi-lateral and international organisations are responding positively to his call:
- Former US secretary of state John Kerry, Bill Gates and Elon Musk
- The World Bank said it would stop financing upstream oil and gas projects from 2019
- Axa will quadruple investments in green projects by 2020 and would increase divestments from fossil economy. It also pledged to stop insuring new coal and oil projects.
- ING bank, will reduce its financing of coal-fired power generation “to close to zero” by 2025.
- More than 200 companies have publicly committed to support the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures TCFD.
- Also, more than 200 institutions also pledged to push the highest-emitting companies to do more to tackle the threat of climate change.
- ExxonMobil, the world’s largest oil company would start publishing reports on the potential impact of climate policies on business.