President Emmanuel Macron welcomes world leaders to a new Climate Summit in Paris.
He says « We’re not going fast enough. We are losing the battle against climate change » and invites us to act now.
Numerous leaders, influencers, NGOs, multi-lateral and international organisations are responding positively to his call:
- Former US secretary of state John Kerry, Bill Gates and Elon Musk
- The World Bank said it would stop financing upstream oil and gas projects from 2019
- Axa will quadruple investments in green projects by 2020 and would increase divestments from fossil economy. It also pledged to stop insuring new coal and oil projects.
- ING bank, will reduce its financing of coal-fired power generation “to close to zero” by 2025.
- More than 200 companies have publicly committed to support the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures TCFD.
- Also, more than 200 institutions also pledged to push the highest-emitting companies to do more to tackle the threat of climate change.
- ExxonMobil, the world’s largest oil company would start publishing reports on the potential impact of climate policies on business.